follow me on Twitter

    Monday, October 27, 2008

    Homemade laundry soap.

    I am totally hooked on blogs about frugality.  In other words, I'm learning how to be cheap - or even cheaper!!  This weekend, I made my own laundry soap.  Yes, I pulled out the food processor, and ground up some cleaning stuff, and then washed some laundry.  Of course, my first load was towels - but you can't really 'see' the dirt on them, so it was hard to tell if they were clean.  But, they sure smelled good!!  I moved onto a light-colored load.  They came out pretty good.  I'm not the best about pre-treating, so I'll have to work on that.  I'm going to make more today - I made a small batch to learn.  I'm really excited about this!!  If you want some info on how to do this, this is what I read to start with:  Homemade Laundry Detergent

    I used Zote soap, Borax and Oxiclean.  Actually that's a lie.  I had the Zote and Oxiclean, but didn't have any Borax.  So my first few loads were without Borax - so my so-called stains might be weaker against the full-strength formula I will mix up today.  I bought Borax on Saturday, and last night, mixed it with some of the detergent I had left over.  Again, I just have to say how good it smells.  I might just leave shavings of Zote lying around the house... 

    No comments: